Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chanting Up the Sun on Haleakala

For our trip to Maui, we knew we'd be meeting a group of friends there. So, we took a gift for each person.

We found 15 little marbles with the map of the world on them. All different colors and textures, each one was unique.

I took them to 3 sacred places in Austin:

Mount Bonnell at sunset.

The cottonwood tree by my house at sunrise.

And Home Slice Pizza.

(If you've ever met Shauna and had the number 6 at Home Slice, you know what I'm talking about.)

When we arrived on Maui, I realized I could take them to 3 sacred places on Maui before we met all our friends. On Maui, I took them to:

Haleakala at sunrise. The summit is 2 miles high and the sun rises up through the clouds.

The Black Sand Beach and Birthing Canal Cave at sunrise.

And the porch at Joe's Place, watching the full moon rise with the owner of Joe's, Ed.

I took them to a lot of other wonderful places on Maui, too, like Koki Beach at Sunset, and Alelele waterfall.

When I opened up my little bundle of globes at the Haleakala sunset, something wonderful happened.
Katie at Haleakala sunrise. Notice my left pocket -
it's full of little globes.
Photo by Virginia Brodie.

Haleakala is very cold and windy. People gather at sunrise (and sometimes sunset) because of the beauty of the sun coming up through the clouds. Tourists are often unprepared for the cold weather, having only packed for tropical breezes. Sometimes, people are wrapped up in beach towels or bedspreads from their hotel rooms.

This particular morning, a Hawaiian guy in shorts and flip flops walked over to my bundle of globes and proceeded to chant the sun up. His chant was so loud that Keith and Mary Ann could hear him from on top of the nearby hill they had climbed. Keith said the man did a version of the Ha Prayer, a Hawaiian prayer for refining a goal or dream, committing your energy to the goal, and then letting go of the goal.

Each time the man sang the refrain of "Ekahi" (pronounced ee-kah-hee) the sun became visibly brighter.

Then, the Hawaiian man left. As I packed up my globes, I looked around to thank him. He was nowhere to be found.

No comments: