Wednesday, December 10, 2008

12 Minute Intervention

My first interaction with Jason Dixon involving NLP was a 12 minute conversation.

Before the conversation, I was struggling with an old friend who was moving on. I was sad and confused.

12 minutes later, I was relaxed and open and felt good about my old friend.

We laughed at how fast that went!

Jason did several important things. First, he actually listened, deeply, to what I said. People Helpers have a well-earned reputation for giving advice before understanding and empathizing. He let me "spill" what was happening inside my head, so that he could respond to what was actually going on for me.

I think armchair NLPers (especially those who read books more than they practice!) miss this a lot: because changing a belief with NLP is much easier than other ways of changing a belief, people jump to the conclusion that whenever they notice a limiting belief, they should reframe the belief or pattern interrupt, and that'll do 'er. Unfortunately, these folks also miss the most important thing that must be in place for a short, conversational intervention to work: unconscious rapport.

But that's a story for another day.

Luckily for me, Jason doesn't play that way!

Second, Jason tried several different things and waited for feedback. Utilizing feedback from the client or class is a "must" in my book. Otherwise, they're just following a recipe -- a recipe that I could be following on my own, for myself.

And third, Jason treated me with a lot of heart. It's my belief that all this stuff is just easier with love.

I'm sure he did other things. But I certainly don't know what they were!

That's the fun of working with a skilled NLP coach, even if you know some NLP. It seems as though you just had a deep, heartfelt conversation. And then things change.

I really enjoyed the personal stories on Jason's website. And he has a Law of Attraction and NLP class coming up on December 13, too.

No comments: